Thursday, October 6, 2011

Current Obsession: Digital print dresses

My experience with screen printed clothing has been so far limited to the T-shirts we put out at culturals or other events during college. I'd never get my size, as only some standard sizes were ordered (standard is a loose term as the T-shirts would have been "standard" only for sumo wrestlers). But in college looking sexy was the last thing on our minds so I'd wear mine tucked into my faded jeans with the sleeves rolled up. So I never associated screen printed clothing with anything other than dorkiness, until I saw these beauties.

Roberto Cavalli

Veronique Branquinho

Manoush-Labour of love

Moschino Cheap and Chic


Totally sexy and edgy at the same time right? And such a simple idea too. Makes you go "hmmmm, why didn't I think of that shiz". And these are pretty easy to replicate if you don't happen to have a $1000 that you need to dispose. Just get a nice white (or any other light coloured fabric) from your nearest fabric store and download/design the print that you want on your dress, take both to a screen printing shop and give it to yout tailor to make a shift dress. Zimple! The best part is that it doesn't have to be tailored for a perfect fit- it can be a little loose too since it's only a shift dress and people would be too blown away by the print to notice the fit anyway. Boo yah!

Mary Katrantzou Tromp l'oeil dresses
How I plan to make mine:
I stay in Chennai so I'm gonna get 2m of French crepe fabric from Mangharams at Rs.75/m. It'll need to be lined but will fall beautifully.
Put together the print I want-a mash up of surreal paintings by Dali.
Take it to my nearby Kodak colourlab, get it screen printed on the fabric.
Give it to my regular kurta-stitching tailor and ask him to make it like one, only without the side slits and with a back zip or an eyelet closure.

Dali-The persistence of memory

Dali- The Last Supper


Ta-da! Approx total cost: Rs.500. Admiration, envy, show off value: priceless
Will post the dress when I get it ready. Oh! I'm already so excited to make it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment